We help you support your hormones with seed cycling and nutrition, learn why it is so important. When we look at the statistics, over 50% of women are struggling with hormonal issues and under 10% for men. We have put up with these symptoms (maybe even been told that it’s normal and periods are a curse). You may have also been given band aid solutions like the Pill.
I believe we all deserve for our hormones and bodies to be functioning optimally.
What exactly is seed cycling and how does it support our hormones?
Seed cycling is an all-natural technique that combines the best of nutritional and naturopathic practices to restore hormonal balance for women.
Think of seed cycling as a form of menstrual biohacking (a way to optimise our health using nature and science).
The concept behind seed cycling is that these particular seeds carry important oils, vitamins and minerals to support the production and elimination of key hormones – these being estrogen and progesterone.
For the purposes of seed cycling, we break it down into two phases.
During Phase 1 you are consuming pumpkin seeds and flaxseeds which are briming with healthy Omega 3 fatty acids and essential nutrients including zinc and selenium.
During Phase 2 you are consuming sesame seeds and sunflower seeds which have healthy Omega 6 fatty acids & Vitamin E (which plays a big role in balancing our nervous and endocrine system). They work together to keep estrogen levels in check.
In terms of the benefits, seed cycling customers are telling us that it has helped their skin, reduced PMS symptoms, improved their moods, & even told us they are losing weight as the seeds are keeping them full and sugar cravings have reduced substantially!
Seed cycling has a massive impact on hormone health - it is a simple and effective way to optimise your hormones.
What are some other ways to support healthy hormones?
Nutritionally there are other beautiful foods you can use to support the phases of the menstrual cycle.
Let’s run through the phases of the menstrual cycle and foods that can support hormone health during this time:
- As we bleed, we want to support iron levels. I like to incorporate seaweed, kidney beans and my absolute favourite is liver pate. Raw cacao is also amazing as it is a natural antioxidant which is great for blood sugar levels & it is one of the best plant-based sources of magnesium. (The Seed Cycle Brownie Mix
has raw cacao, just one of the reasons we love it so much!)
- Focus on proteins such as eggs or tofu whilst incorporating healthy fats such as olive oil & avocado.
-To optimise the detoxification of estrogen from your liver, focus on fiber rich vegetables dark leafy greens such as spinach, asparagus, broccoli, kale & brussels sprouts.
– Add complex carbohydrates such as rice, buckwheat & sweet potato. This is important as complex carbs create an amino acid called tryptophan which is a building block to serotonin our happy hormone.
Minimise Your Toxic Load
We learn with Functional Nutrition that it is important to look at all aspects of health (not just food) & a big factor when it comes to hormone health is toxic load (this one applies for men too).
We are learning more and more about chemical stress and the impact exposure to ingredients in plastics, cleaning products and cosmetic additives can have on our body & on our hormones.
EDCs or Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals are environmental chemicals that mimic, block or interfere with hormones in the body.
A few simple things you can do to limit EDCs:
- Buy organic or wash fruits and vegetables before you eat them.
- Don’t microwave in plastic food containers.
- Reduce canned and processed foods.
- When choosing cosmetics and cleaning products opt for natural products.
What more on seed cycling and functional nutrition? Check out the Podcast where Melissa talks about how to support your hormones and your health with nutrition and seed cycling.