Seed Cycling: A Holistic Approach to Balance Hormonal HealthSeed cycling is a natural and holistic approach to regulate and balance hormones during the menstrual cycle. The idea behind seed cycling is to consume 4 key seeds during different phases of the menstrual cycle to provide the body with the essential fatty acids and nutrients it needs for hormone regulation. There are two phases of the menstrual cycle: the follicular phase and the luteal phase. The follicular phase starts on the first day of menstruation and lasts until ovulation. The luteal phase begins after ovulation and lasts until the start of the next menstrual cycle.
The Luteal PhaseThe luteal phase is the second half of the menstrual cycle and typically lasts for about 14 days. During this phase, the body is preparing for pregnancy and is producing higher levels of progesterone. If pregnancy does not occur, the levels of progesterone drop, leading to the start of menstruation. As mentioned it is during the luteal phase that many women may experience symptoms such as mood swings, bloating, breast tenderness, and cravings. These symptoms can be attributed to the hormonal imbalances and fluctuations that occur during this phase of the cycle.
Seed Cycling for the Luteal PhaseFor the luteal phase, it is recommended to consume sunflower seeds and sesame seeds. These seeds are rich in lignans and essential fatty acids, which can help to balance the hormones and alleviate symptoms during the luteal phase. To incorporate these seeds into your diet, you can use our Phase 2 blend, which you add to smoothies, yogurt, oatmeal, or any other dish of your choice. Another option for seed cycling during your luteal phase is our Seed Cycle Biscuit Mix.
Seed Cycling for Irregular or Missing PeriodsPeriods are a natural part of a woman's reproductive cycle, but for some women, they can be irregular or even missing. Irregular or missing periods can be a sign of hormonal imbalances, which can impact overall health and fertility. Fortunately, seed cycling offers a natural and holistic approach to regulate hormones and support menstrual regularity. Always start by consulting with your health practitioner. If seed cycling is right for you and your circumstances and your periods are missing or irregular you can start seed cycling using the moon phases.
The lunar calendar (moon phases) has been used for generations to regulate a woman’s’ cycle. The moon’s influence on our body and hormones is more powerful than you may think, it can even promote the release of neurohormones, sex hormones and melatonin.
For menopausal and postmenopausal women or women without a regular menstrual cycle, it is also recommended to use the phases of the moon as a guide to seed cycle.
Here is a recipe for Seed Cycling Phase 2 Chocolate Raspberry Bars:You will need:
- 1 pack The Seed Cycle Biscuit
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup hot filtered water
- 2 cups quality chocolate, melted (we love the Alter Ego Hazelnut Chocolate)
- 1/2 cup raw buckwheat (optional)
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam or frozen raspberries crushed
- 27.5 x 3.5cm baking tray and baking paper
- Soak the dates in hot water for 10-15 minutes to soften.
- Add the dates and water they were soaking in into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add in The Seed Cycle Biscuit and coconut oil, pulse the mixture in the food processor until it forms a sticky dough.
- Split the mixture in half and press half the mixture evenly onto a lined baking tray, this will be approx 1.5cm thick.
- Top mixture with raspberry jam and sprinkle buckwheat, freeze for 15 minutes.
- Remove tray from freezer and add the rest of the dough, spreading evenly. Freeze again for 15-30 minutes.
- Once set, cut into 14 bars and coat in melted chocolate. Freeze the bars on a lined baking tray, once the chocolate has set you can store the bars in a glass container in the freezer.
- Enjoy 1 Chocolate Raspberry bar each day as a healthy and delicious snack during the second half of your menstrual cycle.