We hope you enjoy our Seed Cycling Lactation Bliss Ball and Biscuit Recipe. Many women and cultures have utilised the power of food and nutrition by eaten certain foods to increase breast milk supply right after child birth and while breastfeeding.
Sometimes breastfeeding alone isn't enough to promote the production of an adequate breast milk supply. In these situations, galactagogues may be helpful to stimulate the production of breast milk. Galactagogues include foods such as brewers yeast and oats which we include in the recipes below!
Seed cycling is another simple and extremely effective way to support your hormones and body post-partum and while breastfeeding.Seed cycling can also help soften the post-partum emotional changes that can occur because of the huge hormone nose-dive.
While using foods to boost breast milk production is generally considered safe, we encourage you to talk with a healthcare provider before using herbs or medicines while pregnant or breastfeeding.
New to seed cycling – start here.
Support your 4th Trimester with Seed Cycling - read more.
Nutrition Components for Lactation and Hormones
It is considered healthy to consume flaxseed while breastfeeding. Flaxseed is also known as linseed and is high in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and bioactive plant components. Flaxseed has phytoestrogens that can influence breast milk production.
Sesame seeds are high in calcium and estrogen-like plant properties, breastfeeding mumma’s can utilise these nutritional properties in sesame seeds to encourage their bodies to produce breast milk.
Brewer's yeast is a very healthy nutritional supplement that contains B vitamins, iron, protein, chromium, selenium, and other minerals. Brewer’s yeast can assist your body to make more breast milk, as well as provides energy and can have a positive effect on your mood.
Sunflower Seeds contain lignans and essential fatty acids like omega 6 that help block excess estrogen and support healthy hormone balance. Sunflower seeds also provide a great source of selenium and Vitamin E which helps support the liver with detoxification. Vitamin E plays a major role in balancing the functioning of the nervous and endocrine system by naturally working to balance hormones.
Pumpkin Seeds are rich in omega 3 essential fatty acids and nutrients including zinc and selenium. These are vital for healthy hormones. The seeds are a great source of fibre and lignans which are important in healthy estrogen metabolism while preventing estrogen dominance.
Seed Cycle Lactation Bliss Ball Recipe
The perfect healthy snack for a breastfeeding mum, including the Phase 1 Seed Cycle blend, nutritious ingredients and brewer’s yeast to help breast milk production.
- 1 container of The Seed Cycle Phase 1 blend (280g)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup brewer’s yeast
- 3 tablespoons organic nut butter
- 8 Medjool dates
- 3 tablespoons rice malt syrup (add extra for sweeter bliss balls)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup of raw buckwheat or desiccated coconut, for coating.
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend for approx. 3-5 minutes until the mixture comes together.
- With wet hands, roll the mixture into 28 balls (this will give you the correct dosage of Phase 1 seeds and brewer’s yeast). If the mixture feels dry add a little extra water.
- Roll the balls in raw buckwheat or your choice of coatings and refrigerate or freeze in an airtight container until ready to eat.
Consume 2 Seed Cycle bliss balls daily for lactation and hormone support. Enjoy!
The Seed Cycle Biscuit Mix + Lactation Support
What if cookies were good for you? With the Seed Cycle Biscuit Mix you can enjoy a tasty, satisfying whole food snack that is healthy and delicious, promotes hormonal balance and supports breastfeeding mums.
- 1 Seed Cycle Biscuit Mix
- 1 egg or 2 tbs rice malt syrup for VEGAN option
- 1 cup of olive oil (you can also use melted coconut oil or pure butter)
- ¼ cup brewer’s yeast
- 1 cup rolled oats.
- Preheat oven to 180C in a conventional oven or 160C fan forced.
- Empty The Seed Cycle Biscuit Mix into a large bowl. Add brewer’s yeast, oats, 1 egg and 1 cup of oil. Stir until well combined. If the mixture feels dry add a little extra water.
- Refrigerate biscuit mixture for 30 minutes before baking.
- Prepare biscuits by rolling them with wet hands into 28 small balls. Place on paper-lined baking trays.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Store in fridge or freezer.
Consume 2 biscuits per day for lactation and hormone support. Enjoy!
Tried and loved this recipe? Or created one of your own recipes, don’t forget to post a photo and tag The Seed Cycle on Instagram (@the_seed_cycle and #TheSeedCycle) so all your delicious creations can be seen!
Head to www.theseedcycle.com.au/about for more recipes and ideas!
Breastfeeding and Post-Partum Support
- Midwifery and Lactation Services for the Canberra region and surrounds
- The home of trusted breastfeeding information, support and advocacy
Please always seek advice from your health care practitioner before making any dietary changes.